How can i backup my whatsapp chat history
How To Backup and Restore WhatsApp Chat History in 2022
Cloudwards.net may earn a small commission from some purchases made through our site. However, any affiliate earnings do not affect how we review services.
Table of Contents
- How to Backup WhatsApp on iPhone
- How to Backup WhatsApp on Android
- Store Your WhatsApp Backup in the Cloud
- 1. Sync.com
- 2. pCloud
- 3. Icedrive
Unless you manually backup WhatsApp, you can easily lose access to important conversations, or worse, your contacts themselves. Here's how to backup WhatsApp to ensure that doesn't happen.
By Robin Barber (Associate Editor)
— Last Updated: 2022-03-02T15:28:24+00:00
Whether you’re about to move to a new device or just worried about losing your conversations, there are many reasons why you should backup your data. Helpfully, some apps — including WhatsApp — have ways to backup your data automatically. In this article, we’ll show you how to backup WhatsApp messages and attachments on your phone.
- You can backup WhatsApp messages from within the app.
- By default, Android devices use Google Drive and iOS devices use iCloud for the backup.
- There are other services that can store the backup you create.
- You can recover your WhatsApp chats during the installation process.
Although you can create a local backup on your phone, you can’t easily use it to move conversations to a new device and it won’t protect anything from most cybercrime or physical damage. Instead, you should keep a copy in the cloud. Luckily, it only takes a few taps to save all your WhatsApp data to either Google Drive or iCloud.
The easiest way to backup WhatsApp is with the built-in feature that lets you save your chats to either iCloud or Google Drive — on iOS or Android, respectively. Simply go into “settings,” “chats” then “chat backup.” Here, there will be a backup button and an auto-backup feature that you can set up.
When you install WhatsApp on your phone, it will ask you if it should restore chat histories. Make sure that your backup is on your device or your connected cloud storage — either Google Drive or iCloud — before downloading it, and then choose that option when it appears.
Simply follow the method to backup your WhatsApp data either locally or to the cloud, and then you can download that data file to your new device. However, if you’ve connected your phone to your iCloud or Google account, you should be able to restore your data without downloading it first.
How to Backup WhatsApp on iPhone
For most Apple device users, you’ll want to backup your WhatsApp chats to your iCloud storage — and you can read more on this service in our full iCloud review. You could backup everything on your iPhone, but the best way to backup just WhatsApp is to use the backup feature that’s built into the app, which is a simple four-step process.
- Tap “Settings”
When you open WhatsApp from your home screen, you’ll notice five buttons along the bottom. Select the option on the far right, labeled “settings.”
In WhatsApp, tap the “settings” icon in the bottom-right corner.
- Select “Chat Backup”
Choose “chat backup” from the “chats” page.
Go into your chat backup settings.
- Tap “Back Up Now”
You can either tap “back up now” to start the backup process or select “auto backup” and change your backup frequency.
Tap “back up now” to start creating a backup.
How to Backup WhatsApp on Android
Although the process is similar, WhatsApp puts its buttons in slightly different places on Android devices. It’ll also save everything to your Google Drive account. Note that with this service, you give up some privacy and security in return for high speeds and a great third-party integration — and you can find out more in our full Google Drive review.
- Tap “Settings”
Choose “settings” from the dropdown list.
Choose “settings” from the dropdown menu.
- Go Into “Chats”
In WhatsApp’s settings, tap “chats” to get access to your conversation settings.
Go into your “chats” settings.
- Select “Chat Backup”
You’ll find “chat backup” near the bottom of the page, next to an icon in the shape of a cloud.
Tap “chat backup” for your backup options.
- Tap “Back Up”
Tap on “back up” to do a manual backup or “back up to Google Drive” to set your backup frequency. If you haven’t connected your phone to a Google account, it will only create a local backup.
Start to back your messages up to your Google drive.
Store Your WhatsApp Backup in the Cloud
With neither iCloud nor Google Drive being among the best cloud storage services for security, you may be worried about the privacy of your conversations. Luckily, you can use a more secure service by saving your backup files to your preferred remote storage app.
Sync.com’s incredible mobile app makes it one of the best.
At this point, it’s no surprise that Sync.com is our favorite cloud storage provider. Although our full Sync.com review goes into more detail, when it comes down to it, 2TB of space with high-end security for both PC and mobile devices at only $8.00 per month is practically unbeatable, plus you can get 5GB of cloud storage for free.
pCloud is a solid option, especially for high-speed transfers.
Despite pCloud’s odd choice to make zero-knowledge encryption a paid add-on, pCloud and Sync.com are closely matched. If you’re looking for ease of use and speed, and you’re willing to pay extra for security, check out our full pCloud review. You can get started with 10GB of free cloud storage.
Icedrive is a young service, but it’s still one of the best.
Although it is newer to the cloud storage scene, Icedrive ties with Sync.com in our comparison. It doesn’t lack much in any category, including providing 10GB of free space — even if its customer support could be improved — and it’ll definitely keep your data safe. So if you’re willing to go for a younger service, read our full Icedrive review for more information.
How To Restore Your WhatsApp Backup
To restore WhatsApp from a backup, you’re going to need to reinstall it from an app store, such as Google Play. However, as WhatsApp limits how often you can receive verification text messages to a specific phone number, you should make sure you know what you’re doing before you begin.
- Give WhatsApp the Necessary Permissions
In order to restore your WhatsApp message history, you’ll need to allow access to your contacts, photos, media and files. Start by tapping “continue.”
You need to tap “continue” to start the process.
- Tap “Allow” on Each Permission
Make sure to allow every permission that WhatsApp asks for, or else you won’t be able to restore your messages.
Allow the permissions that WhatsApp asks for.
- Start Restoring WhatsApp
After it has found a backup file, check that it’s from the source you expected and tap “restore” to recover all of your conversations.
Check to make sure it’s recovering from the right email address and tap “restore.”
- Finish Setting Up WhatsApp
Once you’ve restored your WhatsApp chats from the backup, tap “next” to finish setting it up.
Tap “next” and finish setting up WhatsApp.
Final Thoughts: How to Backup WhatsApp
Whether you’re an iOS or an Android user, there’s no reason you can’t backup your WhatsApp chats and conversations. You can then use this backup to quickly recover all of your messages, as well as any photos, videos and other attachments that have been part of a conversation.
If you have saved your WhatsApp data to the cloud but can’t see it in there, be sure to look in your backup folder. Providers often keep this separate, so people don’t damage their backups by accident, but you can usually still access it through the official web page on your computer.
However, if you don’t need to use this recovery feature and are limited in space, you can instead use the “export chat” option under “chat history.” This’ll create a text file of the conversation you had with one person. You can even ignore photos and videos, so it doesn’t take up too much memory.
Keep in mind that to accomplish the backup you’ll need a reliable VPN to bypass the WhatsApp ban in Dubai and other countries where WhatsApp is banned. We also have a guide on how to unblock WhatsApp in China.
If you don’t plan on using WhatsApp anymore, our guide will help you understand how to delete your WhatsApp account and this piece will help you find a WhatsApp alternative. Plus, we also have a guide on how to recover data from a broken phone, in case you need it.
Have you tried to backup WhatsApp on your phone? Did you use one of these methods to keep your conversations safe? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below. Thanks for reading.
Let us know if you liked the post. That’s the only way we can improve.
How to Backup WhatsApp on an iPhone or Android Device
- You can backup your WhatsApp data to make sure you don't lose your chats and shared photos or videos.
- You will first have to backup WhatsApp if you want to transfer your data and history to a new device.
- The backup process is different on Android versus iOS, but both platforms make backing up WhatsApp easy, as long as you have the phone connected to a cloud service, like Google Drive or iCloud.
- This story is a part of Business Insider's Guide to WhatsApp.
For many people, WhatsApp is their primary mode of conversation. So what a shame it would be if a lost or broken phone meant the loss of all those conversations, not to mention those photos and videos swapped but never saved.
Don't let that happen to you — backing up WhatsApp is easy on either an Android or iPhone. By backing up WhatsApp, you can load your account and data onto a new device easily, and pick up right where you left off.
Here's how to back up WhatsApp on your iPhone or Android device.Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone 11 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
Samsung Galaxy S10 (From $899.99 at Best Buy)How to backup WhatsApp on an Android
1. Open WhatsApp on your Android device, then tap the three dots at the top-right of your screen.
2. Tap "Settings" and then tap "Chats. "
3. Tap "Chat backup" and then on the next screen tap the green "BACK UP" button.
To schedule regular backups, tap "Backup to Google Drive" and set the frequency, then check to make sure the correct Google account and Wi-Fi network are selected.How to backup WhatsApp on an iPhone
1. Open WhatsApp and tap "Settings" at the bottom-right corner of your screen.Open the Settings tab. Isabella Paoletto/Business Insider
2. Tap "Chats" and then tap "Chat Backup."Tap "Chat Backup. " Isabella Paoletto/Business Insider
3. Tap "Back Up Now."
You can also enable automatic updates by tapping "Auto Backup" and logging in to your iCloud account and choosing your backup frequency.Tap "Auto Backup." Steven John/Business Insider
How to make a call on WhatsApp and start individual or group calls in the app
How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages from a backup on your Android device
How to block someone on the WhatsApp iPhone app in 2 different ways
How to manually add a contact to WhatsApp using your iPhone
How to send GIFs on WhatsApp using your iPhone or Android device
Steven John is a freelance writer living near New York City by way of 12 years in Los Angeles, four in Boston, and the first 18 near DC. When not writing or spending time with his wife and kids, he can occasionally be found climbing mountains. His writing is spread across the web, and his books can be found at www.stevenjohnbooks.com.
Read moreRead less
Insider Inc. receives a commission when you buy through our links.
How do I transfer my chat history to the new Android?How do I transfer my chat history to the new Android?
You have the option to transfer your chat history to a new Android phone if you transfer your local backup or restore a backup from Google Drive. Local backup refers to the automatic backup of the chat history in the WhatsApp folder on your phone. This process takes place every day at 2 am. The WhatsApp folder is located on your device's internal storage or on an external SD card. With the "Google Drive Backup" feature, if enabled, you can save messages and media files to your personal Google Account.
Transfer using local backup
- Backup chats on your old phone.
- Go to WhatsApp > Menu > Settings > Chats and calls > Chat backup .
- Move the external SD card to your new phone if the folder
WhatsApp/Databaseis located on the external SD card.
- If the WhatsApp folder is located on your device's internal memory, see paragraph for detailed steps below.
- Install WhatsApp on your new phone.
- Verify the same WhatsApp phone number that you used to back up your chats.
- Click on Restore when prompted to restore your message history.
To transfer chats from one Android to another, follow these steps:
- First, back up your recent chats manually.
- Go to WhatsApp > Menu > Settings > Chats & calls > Chat backup or Chat backup .
- Second, transfer this backup to your new Android.
- If your phone has an external SD card, remove it from your old phone and install it on your new phone.
- For phones that have an internal memory card or an internal SD card (like most Samsung devices): you need to transfer the
/sdcard/WhatsApp/folder from your old phone to the same folder on your new phone. There are two ways to do this: use the file explorer or transfer the backup files to your computer.
- Please note that some files may be missing during migration. Make sure all the files you want to transfer to your new phone are backed up.
- If you're not sure what type of SD card is in your phone, we recommend that you check your device's specifics on the phone manufacturer's website.
- Once you have successfully transferred your backup, you can install WhatsApp on your new Android.
- During the installation process, WhatsApp will automatically find your backup and ask you if you want to restore it. Once restored, your old chats will appear on your new device.
Migrate with Google Drive Backup
- Back up Google Drive chats manually on your old phone.
- Open WhatsApp > go to Menu > Settings > Chats and Calls > Chat Backup > Backup .
- Add the same Google account that you used to back up on your old phone to your new phone. Also make sure you use the same phone number on the new device.
- Install WhatsApp on a new phone.
- After confirming the same number that was used for backup on the old phone, you will be prompted to restore your messages and media files from Google Drive.
- After the restore process is completed, click on Next. , your chats will appear as soon as initialization completes.
- After restoring chats, WhatsApp will start restoring your media files.
Attention: you will not be able to restore chat history on Android from any other platform or vice versa.
Trouble verifying your phone number? Read this article.
whatsapp for android andchat history backups
In a couple of months, on November 12, to be exact, WhatsApp and Google are going to delete the old backup copies of the correspondence of users of the Android version of the messenger stored in Google Drive. This does not apply to the history of correspondence and backups in the phone's memory - nothing will happen to them. WhatsApp for iOS users need not worry: their backups are stored in iCloud and nothing changes for them.
WhatsApp for Android will back up your conversations to Google Drive for free, but old copies of conversations may be affected. We answer the main questions about the security and privacy of WhatsApp conversations.
1. What is stored in Google?
WhatsApp for Android can regularly copy your data to Google Drive. Depending on the settings, this can be only text correspondence or also photos and videos. This is not a new feature, backups have been working this way for several years now. Drop in at Menu -> Settings -> Chats -> Backup to check if you have Google Drive set up.
2. What will change on November 12?
Any files take up space in Google Drive, reducing your free space quota. But Facebook (owner of WhatsApp) and Google have agreed that WhatsApp backups will no longer count. You will be able to store more data in Google Drive.
3. What will be removed?
If you haven't made backups to Google Drive for a long time and automatic daily backups to WhatsApp are disabled, old (older than a year) backups will be automatically deleted. To avoid this, you need until November 12 at least manually backup WhatsApp data .
4.What happens if I don't have a backup of my WhatsApp conversations?
When installed on a new phone, you will still be able to chat with friends, your membership in chats will remain, but the chat history will not be visible.
5. What other pitfalls?
The stone that was and will remain. In WhatsApp, the correspondence is stored in encrypted form and cannot be read by anyone except the interlocutors. But copies on Google servers are deprived of this protection - everything is stored in them in clear text. Therefore, this kind of backup is hypothetically a threat to your privacy.
6. I want to have a backup of my correspondence, but not on Google! What to do?
WhatsApp can backup on a memory card. With this copy, all correspondence can be transferred to a new phone or restored after reinstalling WhatsApp. But this copy will not help you if you lose your phone. Therefore, a copy from a memory card (sdcardWhatsApp) will have to be manually copied to a computer or to encrypted cloud service .
7. Isn't there an easier way?
There are dozens of WhatsApp copy apps on Google Play. Unfortunately, among them there are no developments from the leaders of the mobile market, and many applications require root access. Installing such applications can be unsafe - under this sauce it is very easy to install an unpleasant Trojan on your smartphone. We recommend that you download only programs with a large number of downloads and high ratings, as well as take care of protecting your smartphone from malicious applications.
Suspicious lucky check
Another story about how free money can only be found in a mousetrap and about not buying rubles for rubles.
Air sellers in online stores
We tell how scammers deceive users of a well-known marketplace using a fake payment page for goods.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter
- I agree to provide my email address to AO Kaspersky Lab in order to receive notifications of new publications on the site.